View Single Post
Old 26th November 2011, 01:58   #4217  |  Link
manolito

How to treat interlaced sources using X264

This is only partly related to StaxRip, it is more a general question about encoding with X264...

I do have a lot of experience converting xxx -> DVD, and generally it is recommended to keep interlaced sources interlaced.

For xxx -> XviD conversions it is mostly recommended to deinterlace interlaced sources for maximum compatibility with playback devices.

Now what about conversions with X264? HandBrake and StaxRip both do not provide a GUI setting to tell X264 to do an interlaced encode, but they both give you a couple of options to deinterlace your source. Does this mean that it is basically a good idea to deinterlace your source before encoding with X264?

Now I do have some questions related to StaxRip:

If I decide to deinterlace my source, I basically have the choice to use Yadif, TomsMoComp or FieldDeinterlace (provided by the Decomb package). Both Yadif and TomsMoComp need the correct field order to work properly. If the field order is not specified, they both default to the field order provided by AviSynth.

Here comes my problem:
AviSynth defaults to BFF, and if your source is TFF you have to tell this to AviSynth with "AssumeTFF()". The only exception is if you use DGDecode (MPEG2Source) as your source filter. In this case AviSynth will get the correct field order from DGDecode.

But if I use FFMS2 as my source filter or even "AVISource()" then AVISynth cannot determine my source field order, I have to specify it explicitly with "AssumeTFF()" or "AssumeBFF()".

Real world case:
I have a source MKV which is Interlaced TFF. I specify Yadif (or TomsMoComp) as my deinterlacer. StaxRip will create an AVS script which just calls "Yadif()". No field order is specified so Yadif will use AviSynth's default BFF which will give me a very badly deinterlaced result.

Anything I can do about it within StaxRip?

//Edit//
Found it myself... Under "Tools->ShowFile->AviSynth Script" you can not only view but also edit the AVS script generated by StaxRip.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 26th November 2011 at 15:13.