View Single Post
Old 4th September 2003, 00:19   #1  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Undocumented RV9 tweaks

These new codecProperties are available in Producer Milestone 6, unless someone broke them since I added them a while back.

patternAdaptivity: 0, 1, or 3 (2 does not work correctly). Default adaptive, when property is not present.

This parameter sets the number of discardable frames to be encoded in between each non-discardable (P or I) frame.

scalingFactor: 0 - 199. Default adaptive, when property is not present.

This parameter sets the quantization scaling factor for the discardable frames, compared to the P/I frames. 0 means same quantization.

example usage (just like the encoderComplexity for EHQ). Include the following in the <videoStream> section of the audience:
Code:
<codecProperties type="bag">
	<patternAdaptivity type="uint">1</patternAdaptivity>
	<scalingFactor type="uint">50</scalingFactor>
</codecProperties>
Verify how they work with the calcPSNR feature and its resulting rv9log.txt file. No warranties and no support, except what I find time to reply to here.

When these properties are not present, the encoder chooses these parameters adaptively while encoding. This adaptive mode is the recommended mode, but as always, adaptivity may not be perfect for all content and everyone's preferences. If you find that you like a fixed setting, over the default adaptivitiy, please let us know.

There are corresponding reg key over-rides as well, just like for EHQ:

--->8---

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\RealNetworks\RV9]
"patternAdaptivity"=dword:00000001
"scalingFactor"=dword:00000032

--->8---

Last edited by karl_lillevold; 30th October 2003 at 00:21.
karl_lillevold is offline   Reply With Quote