View Single Post
Old 27th September 2011, 17:07   #9873  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatter300871 View Post
Regarding using a pure power curve as opposed to BT.709/601 curve .... should I be using a pure power curve?
Yes, most likely.

Quote:
I did 'play' with this setting but in truth was not really sure what I should do for the best. Is my Z4 an sRGB display?
The best way to demonstrate is to register the madTestPatternGenerator (located in madVR's folder) and run the smallramp.ytp sample. If you set it to PPC (at which level it's exactly linear depends on the gamma curve of your projector, you'll have to experiment).

Then, observe the values near the black point. For PPC, it should be a relatively smooth drop-off to black.

For the BT.709 curve, you'll notice that it sort of just drops off at a certain point. (It's best to test this at a lower gamma setting like 2.2 (instead of 2.4/2.5), and the effect becomes more noticeable as you go lower, eg. 1.8)

Quote:
I have set the PC to use Adobe RGB colour profile for my projector.
You need to be very, very careful here - madVR doesn't use or respect your windows color profile settings at all. It's only capable of using a .3dlut for color management.

Fortunately, you can use the built-in option for the yCMS mode to have it generate this automatically.

Just choose “calibrate this display by using yCMS” and enter the following in the top field:

Code:
red, Yxy, 1.0, 0.6400, 0.3300
green, Yxy, 1.0, 0.2100, 0.7100
blue, Yxy, 1.0, 0.1500, 0.0600
white, Yxy, 1.0, 0.31271, 0.32902

Last edited by nand chan; 27th September 2011 at 17:11.
nand chan is offline   Reply With Quote