View Single Post
Old 24th August 2018, 10:06   #3  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
The problem is that there is no protection against clipping. If you do get clipping then you can either reduce the gain (but then you will not reach your desired target LUFS), or you can apply DRC first to reduce the peaks.
They would probably end up as "outcome TBC" once I send them to QC if I brutally clip without applying a proper dynamic range compression first.
Our QC rooms are equipped with two Sony LM-100 and operators listen to each contents with high-end professional headsets.
That's mainly why I was reluctant to use anything other than the DP600, but I'm gonna try with the loudnorm filter at LRA 14 and two-pass.
It's probably gonna be enough for general purpose stereo contents, which is still fine, even thought it might not be enough for 5.1 action contents, 'cause they need to be handled carefully, especially the Center Channel, which is why we created specific profiles aimed to preserve the speech ('cause otherwise you would end up with gun shots and explosions that are far too high and get normalized at the expense of the speech that gets too low).
I don't think that the ffmpeg loudnorm filter is speech-aware, 'cause I only see the options to set the loudness range target, true peak and a few other settings not particularly related to speech.
I've seen far too many movies wrongly encoded this way...
Anyway, I'm gonna make a few tests. Hopefully it's gonna be helpful for many contents. ^_^

Last edited by FranceBB; 24th August 2018 at 10:10.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote