View Single Post
Old 19th January 2011, 11:33   #5  |  Link
Jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokazene_maslo View Post
Is this filter motion compensated?
Not explicitly.

The general algorithm searches the entire image for blocks (what are usually called "windows") that look like the block around the target pixel. It uses the similarity of each sampled block as the weighting of the centre pixel of each sampled block.

The filtered pixel is then the weighted sum of all the centre pixels of every block in the original image.

In Deathray the search is restricted to 49 windows around the target pixel. This means if motion is "low", i.e. less than 3 pixels in any direction, motion compensation "arises".

Deathray has an option, x, to increase the sampling area.

Intrinsically NLM is a spatial filtering technique based on self-similarity in real world images plus it is geared towards noise rather than artefacts such as JPEG/DCT blocks or interlacing artefacts. See this paper for a summary:

http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/docs...jcvrevised.pdf

One of the problems with NLM (generally as well as in Deathray) is that it isn't doing time-series pixel averaging (what you might do with a series of photographs of a static scene) - the spatial aspect tends to dominate, even with a temporal radius of 5 or even 7.

Ironically, after the grand claims made in the paper linked above, hybrid time-series techniques have been experimented with by some of the same people:

ftp://ftp.math.ucla.edu/pub/camreport/cam09-62.pdf

In this paper you will see reference to something called BM3D, which as far as I can tell is the academics' name for MVTools' MVDegrain (or MVTools2's MDegrain).

The principle of the hybrid approach is to use BM3D where "registration" is achieved (i.e. motion compensation meets a threshold of suitability) and to use NLM where registration fails.

I normally use FizzKiller, which is a variation of MDegrain using a calmed clip for analysis:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=133977

but I'm looking for something faster, so I decided to implement temporal NLM.

I should update the FizzKiller script I posted in that thread (post 23) as I tweaked it a bit. Overall, FizzKiller is awesome.
Jawed is offline   Reply With Quote