View Single Post
Old 4th January 2006, 21:34   #29  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by tateu
Sorry, I remember typing (in notepad) a reply to your question about mplayer and quicktime but I guess I never actually logged on and posted it. Mplayer has a quicktime demuxer which reads the properties of the quicktime file (FourCC, height, etc.). It then has a set of codecs that it can use to decode the video. "Codecs.conf" is used to determine which codec to use for each FourCC. If you play a Sorenson Video 3 quicktime with mplayer, the demuxer will determine that the FourCC is SVQ3 and will search through "codecs.conf" for a compatible decoder. The first one listed is ffmpeg, so mplayer will grab compressed media samples from the quicktime file and feed them to the ffmpeg SVQ3 decoder. If you remove or comment out the ffmpeg decoder entry, it will try to use the next one in the list, "Win32/QuickTime SVQ3 decoder." I have not been successful using the quicktime decoders with mplayer but they seem to work with mencoder. I added an entry for Blackmagic's 10Bit codec (v210) and mencoder successfully re-encoded the file to mpeg4.
hm, i have been able playing a sorenson3 mov file via mplayer after placing all the qtsystem files into the codecs folder of mplayer, but i dont seem to be able to get it to decode h.264 via qt's decoder. all i get is a black picture...

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote