View Single Post
Old 12th September 2003, 13:14   #15  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Downloading music from the web has much to do with how our social lives have changed. Everything is far more disposable now!

Eeee, when I were a lad, we did'nt have all these computerized toys. Music came in the form of a 12" vinyl LP 0r 7" single (and later compact cassette) and if we did'nt take care of them they would very quickly sound like crap!

I've still got just about all of my vinyl records, including a rather massive collection of 'picture discs'. Remember these anyone?And even though most have been replaced by CD I just can't seem to part with the vinyl.

This makes me wonder how attached todays consumers are with regard to their music collections! Do todays consumers take time out to really sit down and listen to their music 'however they aquired it'?

I don't know. We have hardware manufacturers in one corner. Making hugely expensive DVD & Super Audio CD players together with amps and speakers etc. Not to mention the discs themselves! And in the other corner we have software manufactureres compressing the hell out of the same music so we are able to listen to it at any time of day and on any suitable device!

At the end of the day I prefer good quality sounding audio and I don't mind paying to listen to it. But I do mind paying too much for it!

Cheers

PS. The sound quality of DAB radio in the UK has gone right down the pan recently. Anybody know why?