View Single Post
Old 16th October 2002, 21:16   #10  |  Link
brett

Where are you getting the idea that CD's still cost $20? There are a couple stores like Sam Goody where they cost $19, but I certainly don't see anybody buying anything there. CDNOW has almost everything for $13.29, and Amazon has most new stuff for $12.98 (with free shipping if you get 2).

I'm not saying the record industry isn't run by idiots... I was particularly amused when they were making such a big deal about Napster a couple years ago, record sales actually went up two years in a row. They had to wait until the economy got bad (and obviously people bought less music), then they started saying it was because of people downloading music.

Quote:
Originally posted by TRILIGHT
As far as I am concerned, they've been raping us for years much in the same manner the tobacco industry did. I personally feel that they get what they deserve.
How did the tobacco industry rape people? Are you suggesting that people didn't used to know that smoking was bad for you? Even in the 50's when tobacco ads were all over the place, people weren't complete morons. Everybody's mom tells them not to smoke. The first few times you try smoking and have a coughing fit, you get the idea that it's not exactly a healthy endeavor. You can't blame that on Marlboro. You wanted a cigarette so they sold you one.

At this point, you really have to admit that the tobacco industry is the one getting raped by the government. If the government wants to make smoking illegal, they need to just go ahead and make it illegal. But no, they don't care. They just use it as an excuse to tax the hell out of people. Seeing as more than half the cost of a pack of cigarettes is tax, who do you really think is getting raped here? On top of that, now the government gives out free advertising against tobacco. Those commercials you see telling you "Big tobacco wants to kill you" are PSA's that networks have to air for free. Also, the government was the one that brought most lawsuits against tobacco companies. So, they sue tobacco, they advertise against tobacco, but they're certainly happy to let them sell cigarettes as long as they give up half the profits. It's great to see the government behaving like the mafia.

It's not just tobacco, though. When you buy a bottle of Jack Daniels, about 75% of your money is going to the government for tax. It gets taxed every step of the way, and the manufacturer is only getting about $5. If the government ever legalized marijuana, they would tax it so much that it would cost more.