View Single Post
Old 21st July 2015, 10:41   #32014  |  Link
ikarad

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

Bilinear+SuperRes -|- Jinc+SuperRes -|- super-xbr+SuperRes -|- NNEDI3+SuperRes -|- GroundTruth

What we can see here is that SuperRes works well even when using Bilinear upscaling. However, SuperRes does *not* remove aliasing artifacts caused by the upscaling algorithm. E.g. look at the roof edges of the left two towers. Both Bilinear and Jinc have aliasing problems there. super-xbr and NNEDI3 have not. Because of this reason, my recommendation would be to use either super-xbr or NNEDI3, followed by SuperRes, for best image quality. The difference between super-xbr and NNEDI3 is pretty small, if you follow it up with SuperRes with high strength. So using super-xbr should save some precious GPU performance. Using Jinc+SuperRes might be an option, too, but you'll likely get more aliasing problems compared to super-xbr+SuperRes.
Thanks for these comparisons.
I have one question:
super-xbr and nneedi116,32,64,128,256 are only available in image doubling. If I use image doubling, downscaling image is obligatory used for my display (I don't have movie with exactly 50% display resolution).

If I use jinc (jinc is only avalaible in image upscaling) in image upscaling, no need to use donwscaling image.

Even with downscaling, is it better to use superxbr or is it better to use jinc withtout downscaling?
ikarad is offline   Reply With Quote