View Single Post
Old 20th November 2002, 16:27   #12  |  Link
Marc FD
XviD fan

i played around with asharp a bit, and it seems i was very inspired when i wrote it, because it seems the algorithm is almost perfect ^_^

i'm going to SIMD this afternoon.

>- I realize that the purpose of this filter is not encoding.But >decoding b-frames,ac3 sound with milan's or nic's filter and asharp >incorporated might be too heavy for some machines(mine,anyway-Duron >1GHZ here).I think i would prefer +1hr of encoding rather than >possible choppy playback

just wait for SIMD optimisations ^_^, i'll start with ISSE (my cpu target), maybe add MMX support later. i hope +200% speed at least.

>- It "restores" some missing sharpness by the use of H.263 with >b-frames-hope it will be fixed soon

fixed ? what ? H.263is just more low-frequency friendly. i recommend you too keep H.263, even with movie, because the quality is better in low frequency, and post-processing (with sharpenning ^^) will do the job better than MPEG stuff. MPEG is good for hardware decoding.

>- Enough said.I won't try to persuade you although the hope for >optimizations dies last

i'm going to do that ASAP ^_^

I tested asharp yesterday and I was very satisfied with results. I'll include it to ffdshow immediatelly after the source code will be available.

would i be possible to allow 3 scroll bars settings ? if it's helping you, i can merge 2 settings into one + checkbox. it may be more easy to make the interface this way.

BTW, since it's a post-processing filter, it may be a good idea to have QP acces (like PP) at decoding. maybe it would help to enhance quality a bit. would it be possible ?
Marc FD is offline   Reply With Quote