View Single Post
Old 19th July 2015, 09:06   #7947  |  Link
LouieChuckyMerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
Where are you putting Trim()?
Oops, that would certainly help you answer my question (I've edited the scripts accordingly) . As you can see Trim is before the decimation, which is why I'm more confused than usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
Question.... Does QTGMC and SMDegrain in the same script do a better job removing noise than just letting QTGMC do the denoising?

Something like QTGMC(InputType=1, Ezdenoise=1.5) and whatever other settings you want to play with. I ask, because QTGMC stabilises everything, including any noise it doesn't remove, and it seems to me that'd make SMDegrain less effective. I've never used them both in the same script myself, it's just a thought....
That's a good question. I actually ran some tests with the above script but turning off SMDegrain's denoising (TR=0, ThSAD=0) and noticed no difference in the output video on my 14" 1600x900 laptop screen. I'm using SMDegrain here more for its other features, the high bit depth pipeline, motion vectors, and prefilter, and kept the mild denoising settings (TR=2, ThSAD=400) out of paranoia, er, because they were suggested by the author when (s)he was kind enough to look at a test clip for me (to be fair, this was recommended before the QTGMC line was added for the shimmering).

I know the script seems out of hand--some might say I'm suffering from filteritis --but I've tested it everywhichway and removing even a single filter has a very noticeable adverse effect on the output video. This S5.E21-TestClip is a great example. Run this clip with the above script and check out the results, I think they're amazing given the source's poor quality.
LouieChuckyMerry is offline   Reply With Quote