View Single Post
Old 6th July 2005, 20:26   #27  |  Link
rubycon

Watermarking is the problem

I did some ripping on my DVD's the hard way:

I plugged the analog out of my Marantz universal player to a high quality audio card ( EMU-1820M, that I use mostly to translate high quality vinyls to 192K DVD-AUDIO), just to see how it worked.

Since I was interested only in backing up high quality Stereo I did a 24/96 PCM copy of a DVD ( Buenavista Social Club, Ry Cooder, Compai Segundo). So using wavelab-5 I did a DVD-audio ISO file and burned a disc.

What happened: every track pleyed for about 30 seconds and then the DVD went to stop: This is watermarking in action.

So I did a blank movie and put the original 24 bit file, spliced in tracks as its soundtrack and burned it as DVD-VIDEO. I played it again and.... It worked!.... No watermark checking in DVD -VIDEO to the soundtrack wave.

What about multichanel?, well that can be solved also, without not too much loss, by using DTS. Again, use the DTS track as the soundtrack on a blank VIdeo, and you'll get the highest possible quality of a watermarked source.

As far as I know, there is no software available up to now to erase watermarking.

The really interesting about the ripper is that it will save you some time, because I may say that the 24/96 copy using the EMU 1820M card is the closest you can get to the original. I bet nobody would be able to hear any difference.

As for some people here wondering why taking so much trouble having an AC3 track I must say they should go to some high end shop and spend one or two hours listening to a DVD Audio on a high end setup, and then come here and give their opinion again.
(Take with you some of those for example, Buenavista social Club, Ray Brown's Soular Energy, Mana's Sueños Liquidos, Pat Metheny Imaginary Day, Eagle's Hotel California, ELP's Bran Salad Surgery...)

Mp3 and ac3 sucks in my opinion. The only lossless compressed scheme I like is DTS...so far, but nothing comes close to 24/96 and 24/192, only vinyl comes close, when mastered using 1/2 speed and pressed using 180 or 200 gram baffles; and then played on a high quality set-up ( excellent MC catridge, excellent phono preamp). Of course the rest shall be high quality too, because if not, why bother in the first place.

Francisco
rubycon is offline   Reply With Quote