Old 12th December 2007, 00:15   #53  |  Link
Zep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didée View Post
In a nutshell:

- Grain removed, at the price of:

- faces often times look soapy
- some detail is emphasised, some detail is lost or blurred
- there is edge ringing and mosquito noise / texture echoes caused by FFT3DFilter

For what you have there, the bitrate is fully sufficient. More bitrate won't help for the downsides introduced by your filterchain.

It's by all means a respectable try, but "remastering" (your words) needs a bit more than this.
well if you look at the original there is just as much mosquito noise and even more in some scenes which I could upload if you really wanted to see more. And I could get rid of it with more tweaking and a mosquito noise filter in the chain. heck even adding undot may fix it since it is so light mosquito noise but I haven't gotten that far yet and I doubt I ever will.

"It's by all means a respectable try" thank you and I can improve and may give it a go some more in the areas you noted. I too saw the cons but it is slow going to test. I need a 8 core box for sure haha

Please do not twist context/meaning of what I said. I certainly did not say it is "remastering" in the hard core way you are trying to make it sound like I said.

what I did say however was "I feel is re-mastering type of filtering"

"I feel" as in my opinion

"type of filtering" as in it is not remastering in the classic sense but in the general sense of giving an over all better experience even at the cost of some things taking a slight hit. Also note this really is meant to be seen in motion. That is what I tweaked it for. if you do frame to frame compares only then yes you can see the cons a lot easier and will not even see the dancing grain in stills which was my main goal to get rid of even if it meant other areas had to take a slight degradation. This thread is about grain removal first and foremost after all.

of course even with the cons the big question is, based on just the 1 clip which would you rather watch? Me I can't stand the dancing grain so you know what I would watch
Zep is offline   Reply With Quote