View Single Post
Old 29th July 2005, 05:11   #33  |  Link
KillaByte

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnman
But i was thinking.... if people made a wavEX out of a normal wav, ww has no clue about the channels which have been used, so im thinking to only enable conversions from wavEX -> wavEX when no channel-mappings are enabled. Or i could just set the channel mask to 0 to indicate i dont know what channels are available, but i dont know if that is allowed, and i think some programs might crash if i do that...... im still not really sure how im going to solve this..... maybe ill have a look at other programs that make wavEX and get some inspiration .
Using a channel mask of 0 seems to be perfectly legal. If you create a WAVE_EX using interlx from the mctools package the resulting file will have such a channel mask until you put it through copysfx and assign one.

One possibility would be to use an advanced channel mapping dialog when converting to WAVE_EX where one can assign the logical channel names like C, LFE, etc. to the numbered channels of the source WAV. Wavewizard could then map them accordingly and assign the correct channel mask. When converting from WAVE_EX to WAVE_EX channel mapping could be even more comfortable since one could work exclusively with logical channel names instead of channel numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnman
BTW in my tests i noticed almost all programs fail on some wavs that are perfectly legal according to the specifications. Even an advanced program like foobar2k makes at least one mistake when reading wavs. So doing to much crazy stuff with the chunks might not be a very wise thing to do.
Yeah - but it would be nice if one could do it anyway
KillaByte is offline   Reply With Quote