View Single Post
Old 23rd November 2004, 00:57   #85  |  Link
AS

I thank you for the correction of my misunderstanding and the explanation with regard to longest string decimation. I will try with your suggestion of manual override.

Just a clarification, for my personal understanding, if you don't mind.

Quote:
Currently what TDecimate does is it removes in order of lowest metric from duplicate strings...
Do you mean it drops the duplicate with the lowest metric, then the one with the 2nd lowest metric and so on?

If I am correct, then there is a case there you do not want to drop the one with lowest metric first but start with the one of the highest metric. Suppose you have an ordered duplicate set/string of AA', I am not sure about you, but in my experience A' is always cleaner than A; A might have chroma shift and/or key-frame corruption if A is a key-frame; A' has none of that and has less compression artifacts by the nature of lossy video compressions. In this scenario, A would have a higher metric than A', would it not? Should you have a longer duplicate string with this high-metric bad frame somewhere in the string, you would end up keeping the frames you don't want and losing the frames you want.

Unless I have misunderstood it again ^^;
AS is offline   Reply With Quote