View Single Post
Old 14th December 2002, 23:21   #3  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Re: .

atracus, thanks for your feedback!

midiguy:
Quote:
Originally posted by midiguy
from my experience, RV9 does too much pre-processing and can often remove many details in your movie. This may be ideal for lower bitrate encodes but for stuff with higher bitrates it may not be the best. but I guess if you are encoding something like, say, A Simpsons episode, yes, RV9 probably would be very good for something like that. Unless there is a way to disable its pre-processing?
Alas, like I posted in another thread, there is no pre-processing in RV9 unless you choose the Low or High noise filters. As opposed to MPEG-4 based methods, RV9 has no ringing and mosquito noise - that's sometimes perceived as lack of detail. Still, I am very interested in the settings you used when you observed this, source material, encoder version, and how you play back the resulting file (OS, player, video card), LCD, TV out?. Maybe there's a problem with one or more of these that we need to fix. Certain older video cards (Matrox G200 in particular) does not know how to interpolate with high quality.

In fact, let me ask everybody for feedback on how to reproduce RV9 lack of detail and perceived softness for higher bitrates.

It's just not something I see myself and I have plenty of high bitrate demos that look awesome with every single detail visible. I usually play back on a computer CRT at 1400x1050 with an ATI or nVidia card, or a 15" Eizo LCD, no sharpening, or color adjustments in RealOne.

For encoding, I rarely use any pre-filters, unless the source is grainy, and I use VBR 2-pass with a max bitrate set at about 2.1 times the average bitrate, and a 25 second buffer. This prevents too many bits from being spent in the very high action scenes, where you can't see all the details anyway, and lets you spend more bits in slow scenes, where you need them more.

So please provide details, so I can investigate. Then again, I have a preference for no ringing around edges, so that may be part of it, but based on some reports, I think there must be more to it.

Last edited by karl_lillevold; 15th December 2002 at 00:02.
karl_lillevold is offline   Reply With Quote