View Single Post
Old 24th May 2013, 22:59   #1  |  Link
Lyris

Help with getting silent 16fps film out of 24fps - SelectEvery?

Hi forum,

This source is 16fps but encoded as 24p for compliance with video standards. So I can run dirt and scratch removal on this source (and others like it), I need to extract the original 16fps (by deleting the duplicated frames), doing my work, then wrapping it back into 24fps again at the end.

Frustratingly, I just can't find any filter that does this correctly and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I've tried tdecimate, which leaves the occasional repeated frame.

Fdecimate correctly identifies the duped frames - but the output, for some reason, stutters back and forth, with the frames in the wrong order.

DupMC (which runs in two passes) looked more hopeful, with no duplicated frames left. However, after running it and then re-wrapping to 24fps, I can see that the timing is still not correct - something is being lost somewhere and I'm baffled as to what is wrong.

The best thing, to avoid all-black fades being overly removed, would be to identify the pulldown sequence and to use SelectEvery(). However, no matter what I tried, I was still left with some duped frames in the output, I assume because the pulldown pattern is somehow variable. I tried to unpick it, but didn't succeed. Can anyone give me pointers or examples of how to do this? I've always been a little bit confused by SelectEvery and how it works...

For once, I can actually provide a sample of my source (UTvideo format):
http://www.mediafire.com/?2rdir77tmwkbrrf
Lyris is offline   Reply With Quote