View Single Post
Old 4th December 2011, 14:13   #515  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD View Post
Hello Lord Mulder, do you take in account Intel Hyperthreading? When i was compressing on corei3mobile 2cores/4threads with two cores set in lamexp, my cpu wasnt full utilised. When i set to 4 cores, cpu went on 100% and compressing was faster. Not big deal cause we can manualy set this option, but since you automate parallel instance count, You might consider Hyperthreading too. Wonder if same apply to bulldozer.
In general, Hyperthreading doesn't need any kind of special support. In theory, all applications with multi-core support will benefit automatically. So does LameXP

Hyperthreading simulates two "logical" cores for each "physical" one. But from the operating systems point of view, HT just doubles the number of CPU cores.

In "Auto" mode, LameXP will detect the number of CPU cores (using the GetNativeSystemInfo function ) and adjusts the maximum number of parallel instances accordingly.

The number of CPU cores reported by GetNativeSystemInfo() should include all CPU cores, e.g. on a Quadcore with HT enabled, it should report eight cores.

Consequently on your Dualcore "Core i3 Mobile" with HT - if it really does have HT (isn't that for the i5 M's only?) - LameXP should detect and use four cores/instances.

Still this is only a maximum! That maximum number of parallel instanced can only be reached, if the number of files transcoded "at once" is at least as high as the maximum.

Moreover: Up to and including LameXP v4.03, the upper bound for the maximum number of instances was four! I implemented a less restrictive formula in LameXP v4.04.

(Also note that, if you overwrite LameXP's decision by manually setting the number of instances, it will run exactly the number of instances you have configured!)

For details please see:
http://lamexp.git.sourceforge.net/gi...=HEAD#89cbd3d0

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 4th December 2011 at 15:15.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote