View Single Post
Old 19th July 2013, 20:27   #19639  |  Link
Soukyuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
What exactly is the goal in setting queues? Should we bring it as low as possible or as high as possible? Does increasing the queue size add lag to initial render steps and/or skipping around the video? How do we know what the optimal queue sizes are for the machine we use?
The lower the queue, the faster it can be filled (=less delay on seeking, especially with "delay playback until queue full" option), but if your PC lacks processing power, you will get dropped frames once it hits a demanding place.

So to find out if your queue needs adjusting, play a video of your choice and look at queue numbers on the OSD. If you get dropped frames and any queue shows as empty (or dangerously low), try increasing it by a few steps. I imagine the default values are sufficient in the majority of scenarios.

So far I only saw ONE video with .ass subtitles that dropped frames on default settings (the same I had to increase my cpu queue to 64 for). Even those subs that used to be regarded as "very heavy" with VSFilter (not Xy-VSFilter) decode without problems on my machine on default settings.
Soukyuu is offline   Reply With Quote