View Single Post
Old 10th December 2009, 00:47   #89  |  Link
n0an
Britain's Finest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Quantization in H.264/AVC is completely different from MPEG-4 ASP. Therefore H.264 quantization matrices are not even comparable to MPEG-4 ASP matrices!

And to make this clear again: For MPEG-4 ASP (Xvid/Divx) the "MPEG" and "H.263" quantization types are not different quantization matrices. They are two different types of quantization.

Only the "MPEG" type can use custom matrices (as replacement for the default one). That's not possible with the "H.263" quantization type.

However the "H.263" type is known to create a slightly "smoother" image than the "MPEG" type (with standard matrix). Generally "H.263" seems to be preferable for low bitrate encodes.
Ah I see. My friend has created a custom matrix which preserves a lot of details on lower to medium bitrates. It smooths rough edges and preserves minute details as well. I am not sure, but I think it's a combination of H.263 and MPEG matrix.

Could you tell me how to understand the structure of a matrix in the CQME? I want to use it as a visual aid to learn better .
n0an is offline   Reply With Quote