View Single Post
Old 14th November 2011, 22:35   #226  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
You're calibrating a display with dynamic contrast enabled? Doesn't that completely screw up accuracy?
It's not dynamic contrast, it's local dimming.

Dynamic contrast simply dims the whole screen with low APL images, and brightens it with high APL images.

LED local-dimming combines both the LC panel and backlight zones to greatly expand the dynamic range of the display. (improving black levels and shadow detail without changing the image)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
Either way, it might just be an issue with your sensor at that point. Spectrophotometers are notoriously bad for very-low-light measurements, it's possible that this is what causes the high inaccuracies around black when using stock LittleCMS settings.
Spectros can have issues with low light, but I have no issues using CalMAN measuring the kind of levels that are showing big errors in the greyscale.

I didn't get a chance to try calibrating things again. I think what I'm going to do next time is use it as a contact meter (on the screen rather than on a tripod) which I would prefer not to do, and then disable backlight scanning during the calibration which increases the light output from the display significantly, without introducing any colour shifts and should help with readings at lower light levels.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote