View Single Post
Old 17th May 2016, 07:28   #38031  |  Link
Razoola

Where is image enhancing heading? Is anti-aliasing a thing of the past? What I'm saying is as resolution increases the requirements to achieve the best image change when upscaling. If your gaming in a 4k resolution on a 55inch screen is enabling any form of anti-aliasing simply putting uneeded work on the GPU for example? Of course upscaling is a little different but if your upscaling from say 720p to 1080p I feel using the same algo to upscale from 720p to 4k may not give the best result as using a different algo because of our eyes and the target resolution.

For me its all getting quite blurry in the gain some of these algos really bring. Probably mainly because I dont have the best eyesight in the world to be able to see the difference when sitting down to actually watch something at a normal viewing distance. On top of that of course not all content is the same.

But I do wonder if it is getting into the realm now where it should be possible for a renderer to look at the source resolution, destination resolution, and color spec. Then examine key frames in the movie and automatically pick the best scaling algo? For me personally I would enable such an option. Even if it required me waiting a minute for a movie to start while madVR calculated the best scaling based on the source material and output resolution etc, I think it would be worth it.

I guess a good start to that would be for a renderer to try a detect if the source material is a movie or animation by simply looking at frames of the source material only.

Last edited by Razoola; 17th May 2016 at 07:56.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote