View Single Post
Old 8th April 2011, 23:19   #10  |  Link
pbristow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didée View Post
Hmm. It's just simple DCT crap what I'm seeing there. (Those havn't changed in the last ten years.) - The artifacts are not strictly vertical, and are located primarily in those 8x8 blocks that can be spotted as such. Another word for that is "blocking". .
I considered that early on... The source is mini-DV, by the way, and I have to say I think the DV standard is *not* well suited to encoding noisy CCD-sourced pictures!

But the artifacts are consistently "stripey" over quite wide areas of what should be consistent colour & (lack of) brightness. I'm used to seeing blocking artifacts appearing where there's a gradient or level of detail that the block doesn't have enough bits to follow, but what would make a DCT *add* a cyclical detail, conjured out of nothing?

Notice the "ruler" of black & white lines I added above and below the picture, for diagnostic purposes. The dark lines on the video mostly coincide with the bright lines on my "ruler", and one of my early attempts at getting rid of them was just to "fill them in" with a static image of white lines on black, using merge(). It succesfully evened things out in the dark areas, but at the cost of visibly *brighter* stripes on the lighter areas! I could have started messing around with luma-masking, but then I had the idea about SpatialSoften.

Last edited by pbristow; 8th April 2011 at 23:22.
pbristow is offline   Reply With Quote