View Single Post
Old 11th December 2002, 00:00   #1  |  Link
d_1981

DVD compliant resolutions

Hi all,

I've been reading thru these forums trying to find an answer but i unfortunatly cannot. The problem is that I am capturing vhs and trying to convert it to dvd. I capture the tapes at 352x480 and then resize down to 352x240, this i have found gives me the best quality when converting to dvd because it retains all of the vhs signal and does not introduce interlacing.

Anyways, my problem is that if I encode a dvd with the same resolution (352x240) it will play in a dvd player, but it stutters and pauses every few seconds. Were as if i encoded it with the exact same settings (using tmpgenc), except having the resolution at 720x480 it plays just fine. My question is then,is this normal for a player to do that at that resolution? Or should i try encoding at 352x480 because i have heard in the forums that this is a compatible dvd resolution, my only problem would be getting the aspect ratio from 352x240 to look right at 352x480. I am not trying to make a svcd or anything like that I have a dvd recorder (sony 500a) and I am trying to make compatible dvd discs only I would like to stay at this resolution because it saves space, encodes MUCH faster, and there is no point in increasing the resolution of these vhs tapes.

Thanks
d_1981 is offline   Reply With Quote