View Single Post
Old 14th June 2004, 08:06   #1  |  Link
Tony Maroni

EAX over SPDIF. ..Is it possible?

Hi there!

I've done quite some research, but didn't find anything that will really fulfill my needs...

Well some months ago i bought an Audigy. My PC stands in the workroom, with an analogue 5.1 PC-Speakerset. No problem until here, but it's also connected with the TV and the Dolby Digital receiver in the livingroom (via S-VHS and digital coaxial). DVDs work great, I can watch them on the TV with great AC3 sound.

But the thing that sucks are EAX-Games. Over SPDIF output i can only get stereo PCM, because there is no soundcard on the market (besides NVIDIA soundstorm(DICE), but thats a mainboard...) that can do real-time AC3 encoding...
But on-the-fly-AC3-encoding is possible with todays hardware, I found the Direct-Show AC3-Filter (rc5) that can do exactly the same thing!!
It takes every multichannel-input (with 48000 khz) and transforms it to AC3 while listening....

Is there a programm to catch the EAX-game multichannel sound ( a prg that pretends to be a sound output device for example), transform it to 48000 and handle it over to AC3-Filter... This would be like a dream coming true...
Or am I only dreaming and this will never be possible??
Any advice from you PROs would be very handy!!

Thanks for your brainpower!
Tony Maroni is offline   Reply With Quote