View Single Post
Old 17th May 2018, 21:10   #50916  |  Link
Asmodian

It is LG's 2017 OLED, C7P.

I also used high patch counts, I believe I was using ~1000. Maybe I should try some more but when not using PC mode I got good results (no banding/clipping). It is expected that a 3DLUT (or any software calibration) would lower brightness, the only way to do any type of correction in software is to send <100% because you can never send >100%.

I ended up not using a 3DLUT for HDR, I did a manual calibration of my TV in Calman and simply use passthrough in madVR. Ideally you need a 3DLUT for every video with the peek nits set for the metadata of that video and after the manual calibration, and in home theater mode, my TV does a decent job tone mapping. A 3DLUT crafted for a particular video is a little better but passthough is better than using a "worst case" 3DLUT for everything.

I think there is more difficult HDR content, for example some of the earlier Harry Potter movies have very high peek nits in a few scenes (causing out of gamut issues like this) while most newer movies seem to use a more reasonable peek nits and all look good with the same 3DLUT.