View Single Post
Old 10th March 2005, 05:49   #18  |  Link
Neo Neko

Quote:
Originally posted by rjamorim
phpBB is a terrible, buggy and unsafe forum platform. I know of at least 6 forums that have been hacked (counting neuron2's and BSplayer's). I'm advising all people I know that are using phpBB to move to something else. vBulletin or Invision 2.0x if they are willing to pay, or Invision 1.3.1 if they aren't.

No wonder they are changing their forum name to "Olympus" in an attempt to get rid of the huge bad karma they have...
I have to disagree with you quite a bit. It is not that buggy. And it's not that unsafe. No more so than any of the alternates you have mentioned. Frankly I think PHPBB is just having a bad go. This recent vulnerability has turned out bad. Unfortunatly with all the other BBS software either pay or going pay. This leaves PHPBB free and clear in the rather large field of users who can't afford the alternate solutions. Unfortunatly these are also the people that often don't do that well patching their desktop OS let alone PHP based forum software.

The only real gripe I have ever seen as reasonable are the lack of some features etc. But as far as that is concerned it's not that big a deal. I mean after all you get what you pay for. And in this case more. This is just yet another case of people not keeping up with patches or their web hosts not keeping up in Donald's case. But Don appears to be a good admin with backups handy and his host should have their patches up to date now.
The GIMP - Free raster graphics and photo editing software.
Planeshift - Free 3D MMORPG. Cause everyone needs some fun.
Neo Neko is offline   Reply With Quote