View Single Post
Old 8th November 2005, 12:14   #202  |  Link
RyosukeFC

I understand quite well the interest in trying out new things, but considering my needs (receiver-based decoding of any multi-channel material over S/PDIF and highest audio quality all around), as well as the procedure I've standardized myself upon (DVD Decrypter -> DGIndex -> GKnot (not autogk) => .AVI, then VDubMod muxes the .AVI and audio extracted from the above DGIndex step (DTS whenever available, then 5.1 AC3, and Vorbis for all 2ch material), it doesn't make sense for me to use AAC for anything (since my receiver can't decode it, can any?), or a container format other than OGM. I've never had any trouble with OGM, and VDubMod supports it fully, unlike MKV. When Matroska support in VDubMod materializes, I'd be happy to start using that. VDubMod is so useful for things above and beyond encoding and muxing, I'm not yet willing to abandon it and start creating files it can't read in.

Can anyone see any flaws in my logic? Am I missing anything? I understand the preference for formats that properly support Unicode (I'm a big supporter myself), but I don't need anything other than vanilla English support for my own purposes, so I'd like to wait for VDubMod to properly support the full Matroska spec before switching from OGM. Does this make sense to anyone? Also, why are people even discussing anything made by Apple? What could possibly be interesting about anything QT-related, in the context of the discussion of the selection of superior formats? I think there's something key to this whole thing that I'm missing.

@Vlada: I'm also curious about the role pixel shaders have in video playback. Does anyone know?
RyosukeFC is offline   Reply With Quote