View Single Post
Old 3rd March 2012, 22:20   #12439  |  Link
shaolin95

Quote:
DXVA decoding is kinda troublesome for ATI cards when using madVR. So that may explain the problems you're having. If you can't upgrade your CPU in order to do software decoding then I would suggest getting a budget NVidia GPU (something faster than a 520, though), or maybe the new Radeon 7750. I'm not totally sure the 7750 will work perfectly with DXVA, but at least 1080p24 movies should be no problem.

But the first step should be to make sure that it's really a problem with the DXVA decoding. So I'd suggest that you activate the madVR debug OSD (Ctrl+J) and then have a look at all the various queues. In the moment when the image stutters the debug OSD should show an increase in "dropped frames". In that moment please check which of the queues are empty and which are not. The most important is the top most queue which is empty. Is it the decoder queue? Or a different one?
Thanks for the replay
I have a core duo 6600 at 4.2 but that is not enough I think plus I love how this works. Also I notice that the hiccups only happen when I am in Full Screen Exclusive mode. If I dont use Exclusive then full screen plays smoothly. Am I missing something by not using Exclusive.
If you feel an Nvidia card works better , I can do that, I dont mind either company.

Not sure if a newer card will have better IQ but just in case, for Nvidia do you have a preferred card for this only?

Last edited by shaolin95; 3rd March 2012 at 23:00.
shaolin95 is offline   Reply With Quote