View Single Post
Old 3rd June 2019, 07:48   #56466  |  Link
Charky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexkral View Post
Why not? If what you want is just to remove a color cast then it's just a matter of color balancing. Probably not a good idea as you said, and certainly not a job for madVR anyway.
Well, first, because color grading is a shot by shot process, and sometimes even changes in the same shot. You don't color grade an entire movie (or "uncolor grade" it) with a single LUT or a set of slider, that's just not how it works. It would look good in the scene you take as a reference point and bad in every other one.

Even if you created a system that scans every frame and changes colors "on the fly" (a kind of "dynamic color grading"), the end result would probably be shitty anyway because your picture is not raw "flat" neutral footage, but already color graded. One of the many problems I can think of is that teal & orange color grading often purposely crushes blacks you obviously can't "uncrush" with color balancing : the details are already lost. Maybe a talented colorist could mitigate the teal & orange look by manually recoloring the movie shot by shot, but I don't trust an algorithm to understand what looks good to human eyes. Anyway, if you have an algorithm that can do that, I suggest you call Adobe, they'll buy it for sure

Of course, I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but in the meantime, I'll take a carefully graded teal & orange picture over an awkwardly automatically desaturated/recolored one a million times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcec View Post
This is not true, there are many features in madVR that enhances the image by changing the source material in one way or another. For instance de-ringing, denoise, thin edges, crispen edges, and the list goes on. It doesn't simply display the given data, it manipulates it in different ways.
These features should only be used to restore a picture degraded by several steps of compression. With the exception of denoise/add grain, they don't really mess with the original artistic intent. By contrast, IMO, modifying the movie colors is like giving the director the middle finger.

"Rule #1 : If it works, don't change anything."

Last edited by Charky; 3rd June 2019 at 08:51.
Charky is offline   Reply With Quote