View Single Post
Old 12th September 2018, 15:42   #52396  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldnebel View Post
Is this new HDR to SDR conversion feature of madVR also an option if you have a HDR capable display with a fairly low maximum brightness of say around 300 nits? Might this HDR video look better converted to SDR?
It could make sense if you want to watch both SDR and HDR at the same brightness, likely at 300 nits. There is the issue of sharing a color gamut. If your display has a setting to automatically detect the input gamut and display it without a conversion (typically, Auto), it could be a good option. Otherwise, you would have to choose either BT.709 or BT.2020/DCI-P3 as the shared gamut between HDR and SDR. A 3D LUT could also solve this issue.

It also depends on the quality of the tone mapping provided by your display. At 300 nits, you lose a lot of detail through compression that madVR could restore with its highlight recovery setting. Also, some displays can't tone map all pixels with the correct hue. At least, with madVR you always get the correct hue. The image could also be potentially brighter. It depends on the display.

It is definitely worth trying. I would guess madVR would do a better job of tone mapping than a display that dim.

Here are a couple of images that show how highlight recovery strength works:

highlight recovery strength: none
highlight recovery strength: medium

This is also an image I made from the latest build that I think looks pretty attractive:

1,000 nits BT.2020 -> 150 nits BT.709 (390 target nits) (highlight recovery strength: medium)

Last edited by Warner306; 12th September 2018 at 16:10.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote