View Single Post
Old 24th June 2011, 10:53   #17567  |  Link
clsid

Working OK now, so time to commit.
Changing buffer size to 4 should be fine. Please change it in MPC as well. The old default in VSFilter was 10, but I don't know if a larger buffer than 4 has much real benefit.

I did notice a crash when changing the settings during playback. Perhaps that can be solved by reading the setting into two vars, one for usage during playback, and one purely for the GUI. So no real-time update of the setting.

I did some basic benchmarks to test the performance of subs. These numbers were gathered with ProcessExplorer and from just one run per test, so take results with a grain of salt.
I measured the total CPU time used by MPC while playing a 720x480 H.264 clip with subtitles that have karaoke effects. Clip duration 1m46s.

Without subs
6.74 seconds

New VSFilter, Buffer = 0

VSFilter 2.39, Buffer = 0

New VSFilter, Buffer = 4

New VSFilter, Buffer = 4, Animation on

New VSFilter, Buffer = 10

New VSFilter, Buffer = 10, Animation on

VSFilter 2.39, Buffer = 10

Conclusions:
- Heavy subtitles can have a big performance impact. Up to 50% of the total CPU usage.
- Animation with buffering uses the most CPU time. Followed by Animation without buffers. Buffering without animation uses the least CPU time.
- Animation can use up to 80% more CPU time than no animation.
- New VSFilter is not much faster than the old one. I expected a bigger difference with the recently added performance tweaks. Perhaps the VSFilterMod additions have some negative effect on performance.

I might do another test with basic SRT subs later to measure performance in case of a non-animated sub.