Thread: FluxSmooth
View Single Post
Old 19th November 2002, 17:40   #23  |  Link
SansGrip
Noise is your friend

New version 0.3

Here's 0.3 which fixes a very bad bug that significantly changed the algorithm. Since fixing this I've also been able to put the defaults back up to 7, 7. I was tempted to put them higher but I decided to wait for some feedback on that first.

It includes both a 2.0/YUY2 version and a 2.5/YUY2/YV12 version.

I also made some optimizations, and for me at least it runs fairly quickly (roughly 6-7fps faster than C3D movieHQ on 720x480 material). Though bear in mind that its performance depends on the amount of noise in the clip, and is still pure C++ with no assembler.

For very noisy sources try jacking up the thresholds. You'll be surprised how far you can go with them before you see artifacts.

I'm pretty pleased with this filter as it seems to remove a great deal of the most noticible noise with very little impact on details (depending on the threshold, of course).

Feedback is, as always, very much appreciated. I'd be especially interested in hearing its effect on compression, as well as suggested defaults for various kinds of sources (clean DVD, noisy DVD, cable captures, digital captures, etc. etc.).

Let me know .

Last edited by SansGrip; 16th December 2002 at 21:10.
SansGrip is offline   Reply With Quote