View Single Post
Old 27th October 2016, 09:34   #1395  |  Link
RieGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
I see what you mean. I tried encoding a piece of music at ~16 kbps and it came out as total noise. Not that I would expect anything worthwhile at ~16 kbps.

Interestingly, at ~24 kbps it came out "okay". Of course, the ~24 kbps version didn't sound very good either. But considering that it's only ~24 kbps Opus still performed pretty well at that rate. Nothing like the ~16 kbps result.

I'm not sure whether the ~16 kbps result is a bug in latest Opus or just what you have to expect at that ultra-low rate. If you got better result before, with what Opus version was that?
yes! i use opus mainly to encode tons of audiobooks (mono), which results in "really good" sound quality starting at 16kbps. it worked just fine on releases before RC2 (or RC1?) and it also works with official opus encoder 1.1.3.
if you say 24kbps came out okay for you, it may be just a problem on my side. i'll try to reinstall LameXP and check.

update:
same problem after reinstalling and removing settings.
i uploaded 2 samples, so you know what i mean:
03_opusenc.opus
03_RC2.opus

i also tried encoding at 24kbps and 128kbps:
24kbps has the same weird artifacts, but not as present as with lower bitrate
128kbps sounds just fine

maybe it's really just a bug in the latest Opus, which effects only lowest bitrates

btw: i have seen that opus files generated by LameXP are always 1kbps lower than set. so i encoded my sample at 15kbps with opusenc

Last edited by RieGo; 27th October 2016 at 10:02.
RieGo is offline   Reply With Quote