View Single Post
Old 13th November 2017, 09:14   #1294  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by konikpolny View Post
I think this is the worst thing that one can do ever. It damages and injures the movie irretrievably and forever leaving the user with no choice but to accept a decision once made. I am strongly against it! Also, I am outraged when an original BD burns in the forced english subtitles on all available playlists / video streams as if everybody just wanted to use the english subtitles! This is horrible.
I agree that forced subtitles burned by the author of the movie or by the author of the BD are terrible, because you don't have the choice of your preferred language any more. But if it is YOU who burns the subtitles YOU have decided to watch anyway, things are totally different.

Like you, I prefer to leave the movie "fresh", without subtitles, and I just want to turn them on when I need them. But if that works perfectly for 2D movies, things are different for 3D movies, especially if you want to play them with a specific standalone player, such as a 3D TV. Usually, there is no way to display correctly the 3D subtitles with hardware players. (My Samsung TV, for example, can only display 2D SRT files NOT inside the MKV container! It is totally prehistoric!) Therefore you have to support the 2D subtitles (and that's the most horrible thing you can imagine) or just watch the movie without any subtitle at all (and that's not a solution if you don't know at all the original language).

The big benefit of burning the 3D subtitles is that the movie will be watchable with all kind of 3D equipment, including any 3D TV with bad subtitle support. Therefore, I burn the subtitles when the movie doesn't have a sound track I can understand and it has a good 3D subtitle track in French or English. In that case, I have to turn the subtitles on anyway, so why not burn them, and avoid all possible player related problems? IMO, it's certainly the best solution.

Last edited by r0lZ; 13th November 2017 at 09:18.