Thread: VirtualDub2
View Single Post
Old 3rd September 2017, 02:43   #326  |  Link
angelxesone

Caching Driver uses too much RAM

Hi Shekh..hi all..

Is there an option to the caching input driver to limit the amount of RAM to be used, or maybe how many frames it can cache?

I keep reaching my max RAM when doing full encodes, and seeing "out of memory", "thread not cycling", "stuck when trying to abort" and other errors.

It keeps eating RAM even doing full encodes in batch mode, which if I remember reading somewhere, should disable the caching, CMIIW.

Also, using the caching driver, when opening different video files it shows different max RAM / frames to cache for each video. How is this calculated? My guess is it's about the GOP size or something, I don't really understand how it works, sorry. Sometimes it's as small as 100MB with 50 frames, and the largest I've seen is 6GB with 500 frames on UHD videos (on my 16GB RAM machine).

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've read this thread (albeit speedily) and I cant find an answer to my problem.

BTW I'm doing encodes on a few (old, I know) Windows Server 2008 with 4GB RAM each. And doing 4K UHD encodes is killing the memory after a few minutes.
Right now I'm back using avisynth and it works great on 8bit sources, even UHD ones. When I'm seeing 10bit sources... I'm stuck.
Also with the old Windows Server, compability problems arise when I'm searching for (modern) tools on video encoding. (even using win xp compatible x265 builds)

Thank you for any advice.
angelxesone is offline   Reply With Quote