Thread: Avisynth 2.6 MT
View Single Post
Old 20th April 2011, 17:57   #151  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemuri-_9 View Post
I don't know where you heard the fact that avisynth 2.6 dropped RGB24 support...
but that's a complete lie: It's still supported.
Supported or not, it no longer works for me and my particular workflow. It used to work just fine.

For 7+ years I have been frameserving out of Sony Vegas Pro into AVISynth scripts. I use the frameserver available from Debugmode.

When you start the frameserver from Vegas, you get this dialog:

For seven years, I have chosen either RGB24 or YUY2, depending on my workflow, plugins used in the AVISynth script, etc. I never had a problem.

For the past several years I have been using AVISynth 2.5.8.5 multi-threaded. The DLL is dated 8/16/2009 and has the name "Jeremy Duncan August 16, 2009" in the Special Build section. This has worked very well, and works with the RGB24 option shown above.

However, in order to get better stability with the QTGMC script in multithreaded usage, I updated to AVISynth 2.6 multithreaded. The DLL is dated 8/16/2009 and is MUCH larger (1,676 KB vs. 339 KB). There is no identifier in the DLL.

When I attempt to open an RGB24 output from the frameserver, using an AVISynth script that is just one line:

AVISource("e:\frameserver.avi")

I get this error message:

RGB32 and YUY2 continue to work as they always have, but RGB32 is MUCH slower (2-3X slower) than RGB24 (or YUY2) because of the conversions done out of Vegas and perhaps because of the larger data set created. It does work just fine.

Because of subtle color shift errors when serving out using YUY2 into a script that uses QTGMC that don't happen when serving out RGB24, I would prefer to use RGB24. But, if I go back to the earlier version of AVISynth, I get stability issues in multi-threaded mode (although only with QTGMC). Typical engineering tradeoff.

So, in support of what nhope says above, I too have found that AVISynth 2.6 -- at least this particular build -- does not handle something that has worked for over seven years (for me).

Perhaps there is a different 2.6 MT build somewhere that doesn't have this problem?

Last edited by johnmeyer; 20th April 2011 at 17:57. Reason: Added "2.6" in the last line, for clarity.
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote