View Single Post
Old 28th November 2012, 16:54   #15832  |  Link

I've made a huge mistake. My GTX 570 died, so I needed a video card ASAP, and bought a GT610 to hold me over until the replacement arrives as it was the cheapest Nvidia card I could buy locally.

I wrongly assumed that being a "600" series card it would at least be capable of handling madVR, but this thing is struggling to do any kind of video scaling, with high GPU load no matter the settings. Lanczos/Jinc are out of the question, and it can't handle downscaling Blu-ray with any of the "good" options - anti-ringing or linear light scaling is too much for it, no matter the scaling used.

Even without any scaling (bilinear/nearest chroma) and decoding on the CPU, it can't handle playback of 1080p60 content.

That said, I think it must be using the same (or similar) VPU as my 570, because it has no problem decoding anything I throw at it if I do use DXVA.

But I wanted to confirm what someone else posted here earlier - DXVA2 upscaling uses quite a lot more GPU power than any of the bicubic variants do. It can't handle anything beyond that, but I'm happy with how SoftCubic 80 looks at least, and it doesn't need the anti-ringing filter. (in fact it looks better without it)
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote