View Single Post
Old 1st November 2017, 11:04   #331  |  Link
bstrobl

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwod View Post
Which is exactly the same I am feeling now.

But I dont think it matters, at least I hope that is the way Open Media Alliance sees it. If they are in it for the long run. AV1 shouldn't really be perfect. But it should be a statement to the world, that it is possible to do video codec this way.

Then I hope they will start drafting a AV2 spec along with a ecosystem around it.

But given the way google does thing, I am not holding my breath.
Google seems to be cooperating well enough with the group(along with everyone else even if they are on opposing sides e.g. Intel/AMD). AV1 is unlikely to have the same major issues like VP9, but it is slowly looking to become more of a stopgap for AV2 due to time pressure. I am seeing a lot of experiments being moved to AV2, which will hopefully be done right once the pressure to rush things out clears after AV1 is released.

Can't complain about the current state that much however, AV1 is still a very good codec

As for the ecosystem, I am hoping for a family of related container formats, something like:
webm - video (AV1/Opus)
webp - picture (AV1 Intra) - throw out VP8
weba - audio (Opus)

It would definitely help to market these codecs and formats a bit more to the general populace. Not sure AVIF is that great to pronounce

Last edited by bstrobl; 1st November 2017 at 11:09.
bstrobl is offline   Reply With Quote