Thread: XviD FAQ
View Single Post
Old 21st January 2005, 14:12   #13  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
Q: I compiled XviD myself with the latest tarball, it installed fine, but it runs way slower than all my other codecs, DivX included. What's going on? Is there something I missed?

Chances are the options you specified are causing the codec to work overtime. VHQ mode is a massive culprit of this. Setting it to "0" speeds it up dramatically (I encoded a short video, was getting between 10 and 15 FPS, with this off, I got 20+ FPS) - but you'll loose quality.

One other thing that could be slowing it down is that the ASM modules in the source weren't compiled. Make sure you have NASM installed, this will speed it up considerably. Get it here. Rename "nasmw.exe" to "nasm.exe" and it will be detected.

EDIT by Koepi: clearified the issue about VHQ - it boosts quality by a good amount - in the opposite to what was written here originally.

Last edited by Koepi; 31st January 2005 at 12:16.
Inventive Software is offline   Reply With Quote