View Single Post
Old 29th January 2016, 10:27   #35697  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Did you have time to look into the potential patent issues yet? If there are no problems, I'd love to add your algo to madVR ASAP. I expect downscaling 4K content to 1080p will be a big thing, so good quality downscaling will be more important than ever. Thanks.
Somewhat. I'm quite sure the method I'm using is different enough from the method they're describing that it won't fall under such a patent application. Also, at the moment it is their responsibility to give sufficient warning of the potential existence of any patent, and given that the content their paper is quite frankly unpatentable it's somewhat unclear what exactly they are trying to patent. At the very least there don't seem to be any patents titled 'perceptually based downscaling of images'.

I could try to see if there's any way to contact them ask them for the patent number (if there even is one), although legally, I don't have to. In fact, I don't gain any legal advantage by making myself aware of any potential patents at this point.
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote