View Single Post
Old 12th November 2015, 00:06   #34226  |  Link
mcn

Hi all,

I'm experiencing a strange v-sync issue with madVR.

In a two monitors setup if I have one or more applications open that use madVR after a random amount of time I start experiencing loss of v-sync in other applications.
To restore v-sync I have to minimize or close all the instances of the applications that use madVR.
Then, if I reopen some application that use madVR, after some time it happens again.

I clearly experience image tearing with applications like VMware Workstation, Outlook 2010 and VLC.
Strangely applications that use madVR aren't affected.

Below more details.

OS
The most important thing that I observed is that this started to happen just after upgrading a few weeks ago from Windows 8 N to Windows 8.1 N, both x64.
On Windows 8 I had installed the Media Feature Pack but on Windows 8.1 I hoped to do without it so it isn't installed.

GPU
I have a GTX 680.
I currently am on driver 358.50, but I tried various previous versions with no luck.
I changed some settings in the Nvidia control panel but this didn't help either.

Monitors
Initially I had one monitor connected via DisplayPort and the other via DVI (digital dual link).
Now they are both on DVI but it doesn't help.

Both monitors are 1920x1200 @ 60 Hz.
Nvidia control panel shows 60 Hz, Windows says 59 Hz and madVR something like 59.95 Hz.
From what I understand this is normal.

If I use only one monitor there are no v-sync issues.

It doesn't seem to matter on which monitor the applications are shown.

Software
I'm pretty sure the issue is triggered by madVR because it happens if I have open instances of DVBViewer Pro and/or MPC-HC, both 32 bit and using madVR.
Also I tried VMR 7 and 9 with apparently no issues.
I can't try EVR because I'm on an N edition of Windows.
I'm on madVR 0.89.16.
Again I tried different settings and versions of madVR without finding a solution.

I also tried using another video decoder instead of LAV Video (32-bit, v0.66) but the issue remains so I really think that this is triggered by madVR.

I looked at madVR's OSD both when the issue is present and when it isn't and I couldn't see any relevant difference in stats to get a hint about what's causing the issue.

At this point I really think the only things that I could try are to install the Media Feature Pack for Windows 8.1 or get another GPU.
I'm not too fond of the first option because I'd like to keep my system as lean as possible.
And I'm quite satisfied with my GTX 680.

If anybody has any suggestion or wild guesses it would be really appreciated, thanks.
mcn is offline   Reply With Quote