View Single Post
Old 4th May 2015, 19:56   #16  |  Link
RRD

Hello. I found this thread when Googling about keyint for 60fps framerate and I do not really understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
There is no reason keyint "should" be any specific value. It's just a tradeoff between seeking speed and compression. Don't muck with it.
min-keyint is automatically decided by the encoder. Don't muck with it.
As a general rule, don't mess with any options that aren't in x264 --help without extremely good reason.
↑Same person in 2008:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
Commandline: x264 […] --keyint 600
Keyint 600 was used because the source is 60 FPS (keyint = 10*framerate).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionut View Post
As a general rule of thumb, keyint should be 10x framerate, and min-keyint should be at framerate.
So for 24fps (23.976 if you want to be pedantic) material, the settings should be 240/24, not 250/23.
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MeGUI/x264_Settings#keyint
Quote:
Recommendation: Default, or 10x whatever your framerate is. On HD encodes which will be CPU challenging you may want to use smaller values (say 2x - 5x fps).
So if (1) I don't need Blu-ray compliance, (2) I don't care about long seeking times and (3) I have a relatively powerful CPU, what should I put for keyint with HD 60fps videos?

From what I understand: the default value --keyint 250 was arbitrarily adapted for 25fps videos, so with 60fps a --keyint 600 or even higher (--keyint 900?) may slightly improve compression while making seeking & encoding times longer. In all cases, x264 may decide to put keyframes well below the keyint value anyway.
RRD is offline   Reply With Quote