View Single Post
Old 9th January 2004, 11:31   #57  |  Link
bond

is the he-aac dll also included in the helix sdk?

Quote:
Originally posted by karl_lillevold
any player that will support AAC should work. Extracting AAC from the .ra files is no problem, if that's what it takes. The main reason they are currently written out as RM files is that this is what is supported throughout our system, and working out all the quirks with another fileformat takes some time. RealPlayer 10 Gold will most likely rip directly to AAC.
i doubt that currently available aac players will play aac-in-ra or even plain .aac files
afaik as good as all important ones (ie ipod) need them in the mp4 container

aac-in-mp4 is simply the mpeg-4 spec compliant way:
you cant really seperate the two as you store the tags in mp4, the flag for he-aac is on mp4 level (you dont find an info if the stream is he-aac or not in the .aac file), the postgain flag is in mp4, the gapless playback is stored on mp4 level aso...
to sum it up you could say mp4 and aac have some sort of symbiosis

also (till now) all aac encoders output .mp4 files by default...

i hope real will not make a difference here cause i think it will only result in a mess and will strengthen m$ with its wm system

we, the users, need as much interoperability as possible!

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free

Last edited by bond; 9th January 2004 at 12:10.
bond is offline   Reply With Quote