View Single Post
Old 7th January 2007, 16:36   #20  |  Link
tebasuna51

* Remove VBR Option?
Yes, or warn isn't compatible with standalone DivX/DVD players (and other PC players)

* Remove Block switch/accurate bitalloc, and leave it at defaults.
Yes, Aften isn't finished yet and these parameters are for test.

* Add Dialog Normalization.
The most important parameter with bitrate and DRC.

* Add "Dolby Surround Mode" - is this only relevant for 2 channel audio? What about the "EX" DS Modes - are they important?
Yes is only for 2.0 but is ignored for other number of channels. If the two channels are obtained by a downmix dpl (there are Avisynth functions to do, see BeHappy) we can activate this flag and decoders (soft or hardware) can read this flag an set automatically to dpl mode (recover FL,FR,C,SL,SR).
Activate the DS "EX" Mode flag mean the Surround Center channel is encoded in SL,SR channels. I don't know any free tool to do so, only know commercial encoders with their proper ac3 encoder, then I think is unnecesary now. Maybe, in the future, we can supply 7 channels to Aften and use this flag.

* Add BW low-pass filter.
Really this 3 filters (DC high-pass, Bandwidth low-pass and LFE low-pass) have similar importance and can be implemented before the encoder but if exist can be used all.

* Are mix-levels important? And why are only -3 to -6 available in aftenGUI?
Mix-levels are only the recommended values if the decoder need make a downmix and want accept the info from the encoder. I can't imagine when we need put other than defaults.
The values are discrete because are encoded in BSI stream with only 2 bits for CenterMixLevel or SurroundMixLevel.
tebasuna51 is offline   Reply With Quote