View Single Post
Old 13th February 2009, 17:00   #995  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

I just had an unexpected result in an encoding: I had used eac3to to make an .mkv file, indexed it with v1.0.11 and re-encoded with x264, and my encode is "off" by 3 frames from the original, messing-up the I-frames I'd specified and thus my chapter marks. Puzzling over this I noticed my XP Pro x64 setup has your updated nvcuvid.dll in my SysWOW64 directory, but an older version from 16-Dec-08 in my system32 folder. Brand-new to 64-bit OS, I'd read that (counterintuitively) 32-bit dlls were to go into SysWOW64 and 64-bit into system32 (so the older nvcuvid.dll must likely be from my Nvidia 9600display card driver installation).

Should I have placed the 08-Feb-09 (new) nvcuvid.dll into system32 instead, replacing the one that's there? Trying to sort this before I re-run my encoding (8 hours) with the newer 1.0.12...

UPDATE: Well I put DG's nvcuvid.dll into system32 and rebooted and it didn't crash. Realized also that I run CUVID Server from its own directory so tried using procexp to ID which dll it was using. Can't tell--neither the Dec version nor DG's identifies itself in any way that I can tell. Guess if no one has advice for me I'll try 1.0.12 and do it again (hell I dunno if this has anything to do with frames being "off" anyway)...

UPDATE2: And in fact it doesn't seem to be the problem--I still am "off" by 3 frames. Going to start-over from scratch, extracting as .h264 not .mkv.

Still, would appreciate if someone knows if replacing nvcuvid.dll everywhere (sysWOW64, system32, every tool location) is the right thing to have done. That's where I'm at now.

Last edited by laserfan; 14th February 2009 at 00:37.