View Single Post
Old 27th October 2016, 21:35   #1396  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RieGo View Post
yes! i use opus mainly to encode tons of audiobooks (mono), which results in "really good" sound quality starting at 16kbps. it worked just fine on releases before RC2 (or RC1?) and it also works with official opus encoder 1.1.3.
Opus binaries have last been updated in RC-1, from Git "master" 2016-09-11 to 2016-10-16. There has not been any change to Opus between RC-1 and RC-2.

Quote:
maybe it's really just a bug in the latest Opus, which effects only lowest bitrates
I noticed two recent commits/fixes that may be related to this problem:
Will try building latest version soon... (not this weekend though)

Quote:
btw: i have seen that opus files generated by LameXP are always 1kbps lower than set. so i encoded my sample at 15kbps with opusenc
By default, Opus uses VBR mode. So, by default, the selected bitrate only "specifies the average rate for a large and diverse collection of audio". It's more a rough estimate.

Your particular audio file may, very well, come out at a somewhat higher or a somewhat lower average bitrate!

If you really whish to hit a specific average bitrate, then you have to add the "--cvbr" option, aka "constrained variable bitrate encoding". Or even use the "--hard-cbr" option.

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 27th October 2016 at 21:43.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote