Thread: So Far So Good!
View Single Post
Old 28th June 2002, 07:18   #3  |  Link
ivan_alias
H.264 is the Future

Quality is always subjective.

However having said that I only have a couple of 2CD rips. Saving private ryan is my only 3 CD rip (has ac3 track). The quality you can get really depends on the movie. For example Harry Potter fits on 1 CD very easily with a bitrate of only a bit over 500 because its so dark. Terminator 2 however is not too good on 1 CD. Both these films are over 2 hours long.

In order to answer your question you need to try a few things yourself. Simply make 2 rips of a film you are not sure about. A 1 Cd version and a 2 CD version and compare them.

I did this with 'Proof of Life' and while there were clear differences when you looked up close, the 2 versions of the film were pretty much indistinguishable when watched full screen from my sofa. Don't be over critial with yuor rips. How many people watch films with their nose right up to the screen looking for tiny macro blocks or weird artifacts?

Essentially the answer to yur question is you can't decide on how many CDs to use simply by takin the running time of a film. Each film looks and compresses differently.

Have fun
I usually use vorbis audio these days which has great quality at lower bitrate to give you more bits for your video, especially important in 1 CD rips.
ivan_alias is offline   Reply With Quote