View Single Post
Old 10th December 2006, 00:42   #5  |  Link
CeeJay.dk

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
I'm always up for testing image enhancement. This one doesn't look too bad - I'm pretty sure it's using a form of b-spline interpolation, the same all the way from low up to image. The only difference is that each step has a little more sharpening applied. Compared to the standard bicubic, lanczos, and company it definitely looks good, similar to ffdshow's spline resize but just slightly better. The higher resize modes probably add some normal sharpening, some warp-sharpening, and longer splines, from what I can tell. CPU usage is approximately the same as ffdshow's higher resizers/sharpeners as well. There's no actual edge directionality, which would be an amazing feat in realtime, so my dream remains unfulfilled...

Too bad it only goes to 1/2 speed, if it went to 1/4 or less I'd buy it right now for a client. The audio resampling is pretty bad, but at least it's there. Its audio maxes out at +-2x, it'd be even funnier if it could play a movie in, say, 4x or 10x with sound. =p

The automatic presets are pretty nice. Not nearly as amazing as HDRAGC, but much faster and much easier.
I think it's more than simple resampling while upscaling .. if you view an image or movie at the same resolution as the source or if you downscale the source , it still brings out more details.

Qolabs that makes this, also make a free pixelfusion only plugin for WMP ( http://www.qolabs.com/pixelfusion/index.htm ) , that also have some details on how this work (not much though)
It might be connected to the algorithm they use in their Focalpoint Photo Editor ( http://qolabs.com/focalpoint/features/focus.htm ).
The algorithm in focalpoint runs much slower though (but yields very good results) - I was wondering if it was some kind of deconvolution algorithm..

Speeding up playback could indeed be fun as well .. both with or without audio pitch correction .. the most useful would be with it on.

I hadn't heard of HDR AGC before but I'm reading about it now.
Probably too slow to be useful for playback.

What I'd really love would be a decent algorithm like Neuview's IQ lighting in a free playback tool .. preferably FFDshow.
Picasa 2 from google can also improve the lighting greatly with it's one-click fix for lighting ( click the tuning tab and then the first magic wand ). It also has a Auto contrast feature that works well , but I'm not sure if it works the same way as the one-click fix.
If someone could figure out how it does that , then we're one step closer to getting some clever coder to implement it in a useful tool (either in a avisynth filter or into ffdshow)

On another note , I tried out Jahplayer and boy is that a gui-hell.
It's hard to find the open function and when I did, the filebrowser hides the scrollbar, making it really difficult to find the file you're looking for.
It also couldn't play some of my files and as much as I tried, I couldn't find a way to view the source in fullscreen.

It's terrible as a movie player .. perhaps it has uses for editing videos , but for playback it stinks (in its current version).
CeeJay.dk is offline   Reply With Quote