View Single Post
Old 10th September 2007, 04:55   #6  |  Link
T. Anschütz

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB View Post
Thanks for the source code.

As your filter make very heavy use of the cache you may wish to use the NewVideoFrame model for this filter instead of the MakeWriteable model for your output frame. This will avoid possibly needing to rerender the middle frame on subsequent calls.

Leak has brought to my attention some weaknesses in my algorithm for MakeWriteable VFB protection. It may be better not to depend on avisynth internals to defend against extreme cases of cache usage.
Sorry for the late reply... I finally got around to looking at my code again. I noticed I was calling child->GetFrame() even for frames whose min / max / isSceneChange values were already known, which is of course silly, so I fixed that. It should call child->GetFrame() only once per frame now, at least for consecutive frames.

As for creating a new frame rather than modifying the original frame object, I see your point, but I'm assuming this isn't an issue any more, now that I'm doing my own caching (of the frame parameters), so I'm not calling GetFrame n times for each frame any more.
But maybe I'm wrong and using NewVideoFrame would still make things more efficient. If so, let me know.

Version 0.3 of the filter is up on my website.
T. Anschütz is offline   Reply With Quote